Sunday, November 4, 2012

Special Moment!

So last night, I had the most special moment with my little one. I've been dying to have her in water and be done with the sponge baths. I have no idea why but I just felt she would love it. So we got rid of the bath sling and used the baby bath on it's own. Huge disappointment. The water barely came up past her hips.

So I told my husband I would love to take a bath with her but that I was too scared. He agreed it would be great but was worried about a slippery baby. Still, last night, he pushed me to fill up the tub and take a bath with the baby. I did.

I scrubbed it down (I'm a germaphobe) and filled it up with water. After my husband tested the water (I can't tell when water is too hot even with the elbow test), I got in and he handed me the baby. He stayed by the side of the tub to offer an extra hand.

It was the most amazing, bonding experience of my life. At first, Iyana was pensive. She wasn't sure whether or not she liked it. After we turned her over on her belly, holding her up by her chest, she calmed down and enjoyed it. She was cooing and kicking her legs the whole time. We did skin to skin time in the water. I nursed her too.

Best of all, I felt a strong bonding moment between all of us, not just me and baby. I truly felt connected to my husband and baby as a family and I could feel the bond between my baby and husband. What an amazing family moment.

For any parents who are a little afraid of babies in water, don't be. We didn't put bubbles or soap in the water so we weren't slippery and you use such little effort to hold the baby above water because they are buoyant. For myself, I liked having my husband there to help with the washing as I held the baby when soap was involved.

Bath time is such a great opportunity to bond and a great way to get some skin to skin time. I can't even explain how special and amazing it was for the three of us. You don't know your baby until you him/her kicking their legs in the water. Cutest thing ever!

Remember to never leave your baby unattended in water. Infants can drown in 1 inch of water. Always test the water before putting baby in.

No comments:

Post a Comment