Saturday, August 17, 2013

Define: Ursatarian Grrrrr

Okay, so after a lot of thought and a little bit of googling, I finally came up with what I should call myself. I love the flow of Pescavegan but lets be honest, the name is an oxymoron. Ursatarian is more fitting and honest to how I eat. It's derived from the Latin ursus/ursa which means bear. Why bear you ask.

The Bear's Diet
Is very similar to my own. There are few omnivore fellow creatures. Now when I say omnivores, I mean true omnivores. Not pets who are fed berries and peanut butter as treats. My favorite example is the bear. He eats a mostly vegan diet plus fish. Yes they eat other animals but they don't kill them. Those animals are usually killed by winter and bears eat them out of NECESSITY until the plants are more readily available. Hmmm, that sounds a lot like why we had to eat livestock. The only meat they actually seek out and hunt (or fish) are fish.


I'd like to follow their example. The nice thing is, we don't have any famine periods. Fruits and vegetables are always readily available. Sooooooo, since the bear's diet resembles my own (minus the winter killed meat), I will call my diet the ursatarian diet. Add it to your dictionary folks.

2 comments:

  1. My wife and I just started doing PescaVegan after watching two great documentaries on Netflix (Vegucated; and Forks over Knives). Whereas my wife is committed to going PescaVegan 100% of the time, your term of Ursatarian is probably more apt for me since for at least until the new year I am allowing myself a meat/dairy meal twice per month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great! Congratulations on your new journey. Society loves labels, but in the end, it's good to do what you feel is right for you. 

      I recommend watching Hungry for Change. You should find it on Netflix as well. It's an eye opener... even for those who eat a greener diet. There are still processed foods that are vegan after all. 

      Thank you for commenting and let me know how things work out for you and your wife. If you have any questions, please ask.

      Delete